Governor Eric Greitens established the Committee for Simple, Fair and Low Taxes shortly after taking office to compare Missouri’s tax credit programs and its tax rates to those of its peer states, assess the economic impact of existing state tax credit programs, assess the possibility of financing cuts to overall state tax rates with cuts to tax credit programs, and recommend comprehensive tax reform legislation to the Governor.
The Committee is currently seeking written comments from the public to help guide its deliberations. Specifically, it is looking for the following categories of input:
(1) Do you or an entity you are affiliated with currently benefit from a tax credit program? If so, do you think that program is a good use of taxpayer dollars? How do you think that tax credit program could be administered more efficiently or effectively? What would be the impact on you if the program were eliminated or the amount of money allocated to it were reduced?
(2) Do you or an entity you are affiliated with currently benefit from any exemption from Missouri’s sales and use tax laws? What, in your view, justifies the differential treatment of the goods or services you deal in as compared with those that are currently taxable? What difference would it make to you if the goods or services you deal in were made fully taxable?
(3) Do you or an entity you are affiliated with currently benefit from any income tax deduction? What, in your view, justifies the deduction as a feature of Missouri’s broader income tax policy? What difference would it make to you if the deduction was eliminated, capped, or otherwise limited in scope?
(4) Are you a current Missouri taxpayer? How do Missouri’s tax rates impact you? What difference would it make to you if Missouri’s state personal income tax rate, state sales tax rate, or state corporate income tax rate were reduced?
(5) Do you currently own, operate, or manage a business that pays taxes in Missouri? What inefficiencies do you see in Missouri’s tax code or tax collection activities? Would a reduction in Missouri’s personal income tax or corporate income tax make it more likely that your business would expand in Missouri?
(6) Do you have any other information that you think would help inform the Committee’s deliberations?
If you are interested in helping the Committee perform its important work, please submit your comments no later than May 10, 2017, to:The Governor’s Committee on Simple, Fair, and Low Taxes c/o Amy Susan, Public Information Officer 301 West High St., Suite 680 Jefferson City, Mo 65102 [email protected]